Proper Diet??

scar lymphedema, upper limb swelling, sirolimus-treated patients, limb volume, Massive Localized Lymphedema, Toxoplasmosis research papers, surgery pain, tattoos, hysterectomy, lymphedema side effects, causes of lymphedema, head lymphedema, eyelid lymphedema, insect bites, rosacea, elderly lymphedema, bioimpedence

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Proper Diet??

Postby alovelace » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi my name is Amy, and my father was just diagnosed two weeks ago with Lymphedema in his left leg. He has now finished having a series of MRI's done on his leg and started seeing a physical therapist that specializes in Lymphedema. We have begun wrapping his leg but due to his leg getting irritated and having a fever in it, he had to stop therapy and the wrapping until fever and redness is gone. Hopefully we will be able to start wrapping again this week.

Anyway, my question is in regards to diet. My mother mentioned that he should not add salt to his food or limit his intake of processed foods containing salt or sodium. Does anybody have any information in regards to a special diet or the do's and don'ts of eating?

Thanks for your help,
Amy
alovelace

Postby patoco » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi Ya Amy

This is probably one of the most misinformed aspects of lymhpedema life.

There are those that would have you not eat anything...drink anything...except bread and water.

As a lympher for 53 years, I can only say hogwash.

There is no special diet for lymphedema...and only a few watch points.

If someone says a high protein diet makes lymphedema worse..don't believe it....absolutely no evidence or proof. Besides, the protein in the lymph fluid is waste protein from body metabolism....not the protein type our body needs inorder to stay healthy. So besure to get the needed amount of protein. And.... if you do not eat enough protein, then you can get protein deficiency and swelling (edema).

Also, it is not true that a normal amount of coffee, tea...anything with caffeine in it is bad for you.....again no proof.... no evidence.

Salt - now here is a watch point. Excess salt is not good for anyone. But the normal amount of salt is not going to either help or hurt lymphedema.
Again, there is no clinical evidence that normal salt intake is going to hurt you.....just use common sense.

Fluids - you should not restrict fluid intake. This may actually cause the lymph to be worse as fluid is needed to help flush out our system.

What it boils down to..is just eat a good normal healthy diet like anyone else would. Good protein, fresh vegetables and fruits...limit bad fats...things like that.

Take a look to the left index under Exercise, Diets and Nutrition - and go through our forum section "Lymphedema Lifestyles" - lots of info there.

:wink:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Information