INFLAMMATORY????

scar lymphedema, upper limb swelling, sirolimus-treated patients, limb volume, Massive Localized Lymphedema, Toxoplasmosis research papers, surgery pain, tattoos, hysterectomy, lymphedema side effects, causes of lymphedema, head lymphedema, eyelid lymphedema, insect bites, rosacea, elderly lymphedema, bioimpedence

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

INFLAMMATORY????

Postby donsuzbee » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 pm

On another website lymphedema is considered an inflammatory condition. I have never heard it called that before. How do all of you view lymphedema in respect to inflammatory or not?
Susan B.
donsuzbee

Re: INFLAMMATORY????

Postby ma1290 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Hey there Susan.

First of all, I'm not a medical professional.

My understanding of the relation between lymphedema and inflammation is something like this although I'm not 100% sure: When the lymphatic system isn't working properly, lymph fluid builds up in the affected limb. This lymph fluid causes the body to send in cells called macrophages to try to break down proteins in the lymph fluid. Macrophages secrete a bunch of molecules called cytokines that tell the body to begin an inflammatory response. With chronic swelling, this process goes on constantly and leads to chronic inflammation, which in the long run leads to hardening of the tissues (fibrosis). Infections also cause inflammation.
Last edited by ma1290 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ma1290

Re: INFLAMMATORY????

Postby donsuzbee » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 am

Hey there AdamStarr
Thank you for that answer. I thought I was completely familiar with this stuff, but you gave me more info.
Susan
donsuzbee

Return to Lymphedema Information