Insurance Question - Pre-existing condition

scar lymphedema, upper limb swelling, sirolimus-treated patients, limb volume, Massive Localized Lymphedema, Toxoplasmosis research papers, surgery pain, tattoos, hysterectomy, lymphedema side effects, causes of lymphedema, head lymphedema, eyelid lymphedema, insect bites, rosacea, elderly lymphedema, bioimpedence

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Insurance Question - Pre-existing condition

Postby ma1290 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm

I have had lymphedema since the day I was born. When I am done with college and am taken off my parents health care plan, will my lymphedema be considered a pre-existing condition? Is it likely that I will have trouble getting coverage?
ma1290

Re: Insurance Question - Pre-existing condition

Postby joanne johnson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:23 am

Hello Adam,

I don't know if it is legal anymore to reject anyone due to a pre-existing condition. I have had diabetes for 30 years and we have had several different insurance companies over the years and it never was a problem with the diabetes or lymphedema. You could call the insurance company which you have now and ask them that particular question as they should know the answer. Don't stress yourself about it now. Relax and enjoy your college experience. :D
joanne johnson

Postby tkincheloe » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Adam,

Yes, your primary lymphedema condition is considered pre-existing. However, insurance companies are now required to provide a verification of prior insurance coverage for a pre-existing condition when a client changes his/her insurance coverage. Keep these forms in a safe place. When you go to work for an employer who provides insurance coverage (or you purchase private insurace on your own) you will need to submit a copy of the verification of prior coverage to the new employer or insurance agent. This will ensure that coverage for your pre-existing condition ramains uninterrupted when switching to a new insurance company. Bear in mind, however, that this verification form will have no affect on the insurance cost and you could be held to a slightly higher payment standard than someone without the same pre-existing condition. With a new employer this should be no problem; with private insurance you might have to shop around, which is a good idea anyway given the status of our national financial woes.

If you lose the form or don't provide one, your pre-existing condition may not be covered by insurance for at least the first 11 months of your new employment -- the usual waiting period for pre-existing conditions. After that, your pre-existing condition must be covered.

Joanne is correct in that insurance companies can no longer descriminate against pre-existing conditions so you're safe there. Just make sure that when you get those notices from your parents' insurance company that you put them in a safe place.

I'll echo Joanne's sentiments -- don't worry about the insurance. Just enjoy college life. Sure wish I was a student myself again -- what fun we had!!

Tom Kincheloe, OTRL, CLT
Certified Lymphedema Therapist and Moderator
tkincheloe

Postby armywife » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:33 pm

I just inquired about getting long term care health insurance. It was having the diagnosis of lymphedema that disqualified me from buying this insurance...not my cancer history.

Army wife
armywife

Return to Lymphedema Information