Belly dance and truncal lymphedema?

Exercises, Diets, Nutrition, Vitamins, Health, Coping, gardening, herbal remedies, truncal lymphedema, chronic illness, breathing, stress, arm exercises, leg exercises, water exercises, low impact exercises, weight training, chair exercises, resistance exercises, stretch exercises, lymphatic drainage, detox patches

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Belly dance and truncal lymphedema?

Postby Noelle » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:21 pm

Is it possible to do belly dancing with truncal lymphedema? I started belly dance lessons earlier this year as it's easier on my LE leg than ballet or jazz, but I developed truncal lymphedema after being put on a compression pump and now I'm not sure whether or not I can continue. I really enjoy it, but I also don't want to aggravate my abdomen. Can anyone offer any advice?

Cheers,
Noelle
Noelle

Postby patoco » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi Noelle :)

I have never seen any studies that would indicate belly dancing would actually improve abdominal lymphedema...however...neiether can I see any reason what so ever that it would cause it to get worse.

My own personal feelings about exercises and lymphedema is that unless an exercise can be clinically shown to make LE worse, and if you are use to doing it, then continue....enjoy :!: :!:

I think staying as active as you can adds to a healthier long term situation for us.

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

belly dancing

Postby suzeeq » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:59 am

Hi Noelle, I agree with Pat about your belly dancing. You should do whatever makes you feel good, physically and mentally too. I too have LE in my leg. I wear compression hose during the day and wrap at night. Maybe the compression pump you are using is causing the abdominal swelling. I have read articles stating that the pump can cause swelling in other places, so if a person had edema in a leg, then the swelling could move to the other leg or genital area. But, my LE started only in my left leg and is now in my left buttocks, and sometimes in my pubic area (only one side) and left side of my abdomen. And that increase has occured without the use of a pump. I am thin and look asymetrical at times, but I can usually get the additional swelling down, except in my leg. It's all trial and error, and you have to do what is best for you. But with LE, what works one day might not work the next. If I wear pants, most people don't know that I have problem. If I point it out, then they can tell. Enjoy whatever exercise that you do. It's good for you! Susan
suzeeq

Postby Noelle » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:36 pm

Thanks, Pat and Susan, for your advice. Keeping active is definitely something that we all should do, and dancing has always been my activity of choice.

My podiatrist had recommended the compression pump because I was going to have foot surgery, and the pump was absolutely the cause of the new swelling. I only used it for three days, but that was all the time it needed to do its damage. I've since cancelled the surgery (it was nothing vital anyway), and have been taking extra care not to do anything else to aggravate the LE!

Cheers,
Noelle
Noelle

Return to Lymphedema Lifestyles