Hi! I'm a newbie!

Welcome to all our family and friends. Patients, families, caregivers, therapists, nurses, doctors, anyone with a concern for and interest in lymphedema is most welcome!!!

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Senior Moderators

Hi! I'm a newbie!

Postby mimisweet » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi, First I'd like to thank everyone responsible for this website. I'm hoping to find answers along the way.
I was diagnosed with Lipo-lymphedema in May of this year. Completely took me by surprise! My medical dr had suggested that I get some compression socks for my right leg that was swollen. The fitters at The Medical Store suggested that I get some PT to bring some of the swelling down and gave me the names of 3 physical therapists. I chose one and she is the one that diagnosed this. For me, this disease, illness, condition (whatever we call it) has caused intense itching. It's constant and unrelenting. I've tried lotions, oils, poison ivy lotions and nothing seems to work. I purchased circ-aids but have had to stop wearing them because of the itching. Right now, I'm not using any compression. My legs look terrible! All kinds of sores from the scratching. Today I woke up to my stomach being purple. After speaking with the PT she felt that I had progressed to another stage where my capillaries are now being damaged. I really have no idea where to go or what to do. My medical doctor had never heard of this. I tried MLD but that didn't seem to work at all. I do look here on the site for answers and suggestions. I also read that I am not alone and this helps me get through some of the days. My PT has one other patient here in VT that has Lipedema and has put me in touch with her.

Thanks for being here!
mimisweet

Re: Hi! I'm a newbie!

Postby patoco » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:16 am

Hey Mimi

Super welcome to our family :!: :!:

I'm really curious, does your therapist think it has moved to a new stage based on the discoloration of your abdomen? Also, has she explained what she thinks caused the damage?

Also, make sure the therapist is actually certified to treat lymphedema. If they are not certified by a lymphedema school, I would sure go elsewhere. The certified therapists are trained in all aspects of lymphedema.

BTW, don't laugh, but a super cream that might help the itching is called Udder Cream...yes....it is used on cow udders, but I had a pharmacist recommend it to me and it worked. You can pretty much pick it up at any pharmacy - even WalMart.

Don't wait on that ab though, it's important to have it checked as soon as you can. LE (lymphedema) can go to the ab, chest and the remainder of the torso. It is really miserable too if it does.

What are you using on those scratch wounds?

I also sponsor a Yahoo group on lipedema that you may want to check out. There are well over a thousand lipers in it and they are great with ideas on what they do, how lip has effected them etc. One of my moderators is even a LE/lip therapist.

Lipedema Lipodema Lipoedema

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/li ... lipoedema/

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Welcome Family